Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Rec: Vegetable Lasagna

For amounts, I pretty much eyeball it. Add or subtract as you will.
Pam spray
Two eggs
Jar of spinach dip
Medium container of ricotta cheese
Shredded mozzarella & parmesan (Target has the pre-blended bags)
Zucchini sliced lengthwise
Bag of fresh spinach
Barilla no-boil lasagna pasta
Potato chips or French-fried onions
I mixed the eggs, ½ the jar of spinach dip, ¼ the ricotta cheese and half-cup of the shredded cheeses in a big bowl.
I sprayed the pan with PAM, laid in the first two pieces of no-boil lasagna.
I poured in enough of the mix to cover the lasagna.
I laid in zucchini slices, then covered it with spinach.
Then I poured more of the mix and a liberal hand-sprinkling of the grated cheese because I thought it needed more.
Then another layer of the pasta, repeat as above.
Finally the top layer of pasta, liberally covered with chips.
I sealed the whole thing with aluminum foil to keep in the moisture and baked at 350 degrees F. Um, if you ask me how long, I don’t know – at least 45 minutes. I poked it with a knife and when the knife went all the way down easily, I knew the pasta was cooked.
I think next time, I’ll cut back on the ricotta, which is pretty bland, up the spinach dip and add some Feta cheese for some additional “tang.” I also think I’ll use lots more zucchini. The spinach cooks way down, but the zucchini gives the flavor and texture. Maybe green tomatoes. Maybe I’ll try that when I’ve worked my way through the other lasagna. Maybe onions and some more garlic powder sprinkled in. Olive oil, too.

No comments: